In our series 20 Questions with Malu, New York-based writer, illustrator and creative guru Malu Edwards is catching up with tastemakers from across the globe to find out what makes them tick. This month, she chats with Chicago-based designer Summer Thornton.
1. Favorite TV series to stream? Bridgerton.
2. Favorite city to work in? Chicago.
3. Favorite city to rest in? Sayulita, Mexico.
4. A book you’ve read more than once? My book, WONDERLAND.
5. Favorite poet, painter, and composer? Emily Dickinson, Alex Katz, and Oliver Wallace (early Disney—I love fairytales!).
6. Favorite design era? Belle Époque.
7. Your five dream dinner guests, living or dead? Marie Antoinette, Madeleine Castaing, Frida Kahlo, Patricia Altschul of Southern Charm, and my grandmother.
8. Favorite gift you’ve ever received? My kitchen fireplace mantel from the 1700s.
9. Favorite flower? Dahlias: weird and wonderful.
10. Favorite scent? Peppery amber: sensual and spicy.
11. Favorite color? Cantaloupe.
12. You’re a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be? Cinnamon.
13. Your biggest personal achievement? That my kids and my husband are still my favorite people to be with.
14. Your biggest professional achievement? Building our dream house in Mexico.
15. Three words your closest friends would use to describe you? Passionate, loyal, extra.
16. Three words your frenemies would use to describe you? Fierce, competitive, impractical.
17. If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be and why? Weeping willow, because I’m romantic and love to be by the water.
18. If you could be any animal which would you be and why? A cat, because in my dreams I’m lazy.
19. The best design advice you’ve been given? If it doesn’t feel right, it isn’t.
20. Words to live by? Put your dreams on paper.